English law has been widely adopted as a benchmark and firm foundation for a just and effective legal system. On the 800th anniversary of the signing of the famous Magna Carta in 1215, which laid out the ground rules, Cambridge Programmes introduced its Law Induction Programme which offers students an introduction to the law, both as an academic subject and a profession, and teaches students crucial debating and interview skills.
Singularly beautiful and historic, Cambridge is the perfect location for an inspirational summer programme. Churchill College, where the Programme is based, is one of the thirty-one Colleges which make up Cambridge University. Thirty of its members have won Nobel Prizes. While the College has a focus on Science and Technology its distinguished Fellows also include world renowned experts on Legal and Political Philosophy.
The Law Induction Programme offers an overview of the common and civil law legal systems and an introduction to the subjects of constitutional law, contract law, tort law and criminal law. Students will benefit from interview and debating skills training and educational visits. They will also be given guidance from a Cambridge University law student on applying to study law at university and what it is like to study law at Cambridge University. Practising legal professionals will give the students careers advice on the different legal career options, for example careers as a barrister and solicitor.
- Directed by Scholars of Cambridge University
- Small classes - top professional teachers
- Cambridge Mentoring System
- Historic, academic learning environment
- Aim to inspire and motivate
- Study Skills Workshop
- Cambridge Style Lectures
- Cambridge and Oxford Law Admission Advice
- Information on what it is like to study law at Cambridge
- Interview Technique Workshop
- Parliamentary and Social Debating Skills Workshop
- Careers advice from practising lawyers
- Cambridge Crown Court
- Squire Law Library
- Inns of Court in London
- Cambridge Union Debating Society
- Houses of Parliament
- London West End Musical
- Punting on the River Cam
The 2018 Programme runs from Sunday 29th July - Saturday 11th August 2018 in Churchill College
GBP £4,388. This covers:
- Tuition and Teaching Materials
- All Meals, including lunches
- Cost of visits and travel to and from the airport
It does not cover air-fares, travel insurance or pocket money.
- Admission to the Law Induction Programme is limited to students aged 15-17 years.
- In some circumstances, we may ask for the applicant to provide a reference from the school and a copy of their latest school report.
- Students from one of our participating schools should apply via their school. (Please follow the School’s own timetable for Applications).
- For individual applications not linked with our participating schools, please download an Application Form below and return it to us by 1st March 2018.
For more infromation click https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk